Here are the steps of building an e-commerce website.
The following article is based on important research and news articles featuring the process to plan and sell your service or products to people shopping on the www.
Building an e-commerce website is not as difficult as you might think. Follow the simple steps below (in order) and you will have your website up and running in no time.
- Get a secure online merchant account with the First Data Global Gateway. A merchant account allows you to accept credit cards. The reason we have put this as step #1 is to help the website programmer. You also need to make sure that your shopping cart software is compatible with the payment gateway. Click here to get a compatible merchant account.
- Select your shopping cart software. A shopping cart is your online catalog and checkout system. Your visitors will add items to their shopping cart and then checkout and provide payment details. This shopping cart will then process their credit card through the First Data Global Gateway and deposit the funds into your bank account via your online merchant account. When you are looking at shopping carts, be sure it is compatible with the LinkPoint payment gateway. If you are a do it yourselfer and want the worlds easiest shopping cart, click here.
- Get website hosting with a secure certificate or a secure server. This allows your customers to rest assured that their information will be kept secure. Hosting for an e-commerce website does not have to be expensive. In fact, it is very affordable at 1&1 webhosting.
- Build your website. You can easily do this yourself using the shopping cart software we suggested or you can use the website builder provided with your 1&1 webshosting package. They have some simple website builders built in.
- Upload your website and start driving traffic. Once your site is live, you can start marketing your website and accepting payments for your products or services.
- When in doubt...Email us. We will be happy to walk you through the steps in more detail. Once you apply for your online merchant account, you will be ready to build your site. Again, we recommend 1&1 webhosting and a merchant account from Cardservice International (now FDIS) with the First Data Global Gateway (prevoiously LinkPoint).